A recent trip to my local farmer’s market gave everyone the inspiration to change-up one of my muffin recipes. On my recent trip I purchased some local honey to replenish my pantry but it never lasted long enough to make it into the pantry. While I was gathering ingredients for my lemon muffins I saw the jar of honey on the counter, just staring at me, begging to be included in on the fun. So I figured why not, after all Ho en and lemon go great together.
- 2¼ cup of all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup Splenda
- 8 oz. nonfat plain yogurt
- Zest of 2 medium lemons
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ¼ cup egg beaters
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non stick spray or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, work butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in yogurt, eggs, lemon extract, lemon juice and lemon zest until just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop batter into muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let me just say, adding the honey and an extra dose of lemon made these muffins so much better. They have a soft and creamy texture from the yogurt and the honey gives it a lovely sweetness without having to add a ton of extra sugar. Best of all these, muffins are great both fresh from the oven or after they have been refrigerated. You can also trade oranges for lemons if you want to try something a little different or if you aren’t a fan of lemon.