Peppermint Shortbread Bars
Buttery shortbread cookie topped with rich dark chocolate and peppermint candies. The perfect holiday treat.
Author: Majorly Delicious
Recipe type: Sweet Treat
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ tsp. salt
Peppermint & Chocolate Topping
- 3 cups dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp., vegetable shortening
- ¼ tsp. peppermint extract
- 10 pieces peppermint hard candy, crushed
- 3 tsp. candy colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with aluminum foil and then spray with non stick spray.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together the powdered sugar and softened butter.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and egg.
- In a small bowl add the sifted flour and salt and whisk together.
- Add the flour mixture to the mixer a little at a time until all is completely incorporated (the dough will be very coarse, like sand).
- Empty dough into the baking dish and using your hands, firmly press the dough into a smooth, even layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or just until the shortbread is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack until completely cooled.
- In a medium-sized microwave safe bowl, add chocolate and shortening.
- Place in microwave and heat for 45 seconds at a time on medium power level, stirring in between.
- Once chocolate is completely melted, add peppermint extract and stir just until combined.
- Pour chocolate over shortbread and spread into an even layer.
- Top with crushed peppermint candy and colored sprinkles.
Serving size: 24 bars Calories: 257 Fat: 15 g Saturated fat: 9 g Trans fat: 0 g Carbohydrates: 32 g Sugar: 19 g Sodium: 56 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 3 h Cholesterol: 17 mg