Salted Chocolate and Caramel Shortbread Bars
These are not your normal shortbread cookie bars. Layered with rich and creamy homemade caramel and topped with dark chocolate and a hint of salt they are to die for.
Author: Majorly Delicious
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 bag dark chocolate melting wafer
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with aluminum foil and then spray with non stick spray.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together the powdered sugar and softened butter.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and egg.
- Add salt and the all purpose flour, adding one cups at a time until all is completely incorporated (the dough will be very coarse, like sand)
- Empty mixture into the baking dish and using your hands firmly press the dough into a smooth, even layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or just until the shortbread is lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and place on wire cooling rack until completely cooled.
- In a heavy bottom, medium-sized saucepan, add sugar and water.
- Over medium heat, dissolve sugar into the water, stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to medium high and boil till mixture turns a deep amber brown.
- Remove from heat and carefully add butter, vanilla extract, heavy cream and salt (the mixture will start to boil up so stand back when adding ingredients).
- Allow to cool just until the mixture starts to thicken and then pour over the shortbread bars.
- Allow to cool completely before adding chocolate
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate wafers according to the directions on the package.
- Stir to make sure all the chocolate is smooth then pour over the caramel layer.
- Sprinkle with additional sea salt.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Using the aluminum foil, carefully turn the cookie bar out onto a cutting board.
- Remove aluminum foil and turn bar over.
- Using a large chef knife, cut into 24 bars.
I like to use Bourbon Barrel foods Bourbon flavored vanilla extract in this recipe for a little different flavor.