I love having little “parties” or get together at my house but no matter how many list I write and shopping I do I usually end up forgetting something. One of the things I usually forget the most is cracker or chips for dipping.
Well, this happened again the other night. Luckily we weren’t entertaining but I was making a large pot of refried beans to snack on during the football games Sunday. I had everything ready to do the final touches to finish off the beans when I realized I didn’t have any tortilla chips. How can I eat beans as a dip without tortilla chips. I mean beans and crackers, um no thank you.
So after rummaging thru the cabinets and fridge I found a package of flour tortillas I had bought to make chicken tacos. Something just clicked in my head and said “let’s fry these up and see what happens” and bam, instant pita chips.
- 10 large flour tortillas
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. salt
- Heat oil in a large pot until hot.
- Place half the tortillas on a medium size cutting board. Cut the tortillas into 8 pieces. Repeat for the remaining half of tortillas.
- Carefully drop 4-5 tortillas into the hot oil and allow to cook until the just start to brown then carefully flip them over to brown the other side.
- Remove from oil and place on a plate covered with two paper towels to allow the oil to drain.
- Lightly sprinkle with salt.