When fixing meals to take to others I always try to think of something different and unique. There are 3 different things I look for when planning a menu for others; simple ever day ingredients, has to be taste tested and approved by my family, and has to be easy for the person I am making it for to put together at a later time.
This past weekend one of my co-workers lost a family member and I wanted to do something to try to some stress off her. I decided I would make her and her family dinner for tonight. One of my family’s favorite meals that meet my 3 must is Italian Peas and Carrots Pastatini.
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 small bag frozen peas and carrots
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ lb. mini farfalle pasta
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- ¼ - ½ cup pasta water
- Boil pasta in salty water according to the directions on the box.
- Drain pasta (reserving ½ cup for use later) and set pasta aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and onion. Cook until tender and lightly browned.
- Add chicken broth, frozen peas and carrots, garlic and black pepper. Cook until chicken broth is reduced by half and veggies are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and add pasta and both cheeses to the skillet. Stir until cheese is melted. Use pasta water to help melt cheese and thicken cheese sauce.