Easy Homemade Refried Beans
These beans are great as a side dish or as a meal themselves!
Author: Majorly Delicious
Recipe type: Sides
- 1 small bag of dried pinto beans
- 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken stock
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1½ tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tbsp. shortening
- Rinse and soak beans in a bowl full of water overnight.
- The following morning drain and rinse the beans again and place in slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, garlic, onion powder and cumin to the beans and stir.
- Cook on high heat for 2 hours. Stir and reduce heat to low for another 4 hours.
- Melt shortening in a large skillet over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium high and using a ladle, slowly add the beans and liquid to the pan a couple scoops at a time.
- Use an old fashion potato masher (or can be done with a fork if you don't have a masher), carefully mash the beans until they are at the desired consistency.
- Keep repeating this process until all the beans and liquid have been put in the pan.
- Serve hot with Queso Fresco sprinkled on top.