Lime Margarita Cupcakes
All the flavor and punch of your favorite adult beverage served up in an adorable cupcake package!
Author: Majorly Delicious
Recipe type: Sweet Treat
- 1 box Pillsbury Super Moist White Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ water
- ½ tequila
- Zest of two limes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup Crisco Shortening
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3-4 tbsp. tequila (you can add more or less depending on your taste)
- 4 - 4½ cups powdered sugar
- Zest of 1 lime, finely zested
- 5 drops of green food coloring
- ¼ cup margarita salt (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, place one scoop of cake mixture into each section of muffin tin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Cream butter, shortening and vanilla extract together in a stand mixer.
- Add lime juice, tequila and lime zest and mix just to combine.
- With mixer on low, slowly start adding in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Add food coloring and mix until distributed throughout mixture.
- Using a butter knife, apply a thin layer of frosting to the top of the cupcake.
- Lightly (a little goes a really long way) sprinkle salt onto the top of the cupcake.
- Using a pastry bag and tip of your choice, pipe frosting on top of the salt.
- You can decorate with straws cut into ⅓ sections or a lime wedge.
This recipe can also be made non-alcoholic by omitting the tequila in both the cake batter and frosting.