Sugar Cookie Cut Outs
Light and buttery, sugar cookies are the perfect cookie for every occasion.
Author: Majorly Delicious
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: approx. 24 cookies
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. meringue powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 6-10 tbsp. water
- food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in egg and vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix in flour mixture until completely combined.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to ¼" thickness. Using your favorite cookie cutters, cut out cookies and place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Add meringue powder and powdered sugar to a bowl.
- Slowly stir in water 1 tbsp. at a time until it the mixture becomes turns almost watery (not as thick as syrup but not as thin as water).
- Spoon onto cookies and allow to dry completely before storing.
If you are not making cut out cookies up the butter to 1 cup and place in small balls 1" apart