Chicken Rotini Bake
This lightened up version of baked ziti gives you all the Italian flavors you love and expect from ziti with a lighter twist.
Author: Majorly Delicious
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- ½ lb. whole wheat rotini pasta
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 14.5 ounce cans peeled and crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 7 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground chicken and cook until browned. Drain off excess fat and grease.
- Add, tomatoes, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Stir and let simmer for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a good amount of salt and pasta and cook until pasta is al dente about 5-7 minutes then drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a large baking dish ( 9 x 13 or larger) with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk ricotta, Parmesan and eggs together until combined. Add cooled and drained pasta to mixture to coat.
- Add ½ of the pasta to baking dish and pour ½ meat mixture onto the top of that.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the fresh mozzarella into ¼ size slices and layer over the top of the mixture.
- Repeat last 2 steps and layer the top of the dish with more fresh mozzarella.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese on top is lightly browned.
- Let stand for 5 minutes until serving.