These are one of the first things my grandaddy taught me how to cook. He always made his into bite size biscuits and only about 1/4″ thick. While I still find myself making mine thin like his I do prefer a bigger biscuit 🙂
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 4 tbsp. shortening
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, add flour and shortening in bowl. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the shortening into the flour using scissoring motions until is resembles pea sized crumbs.
- Add buttermilk to flour mixture and using your hand mix until the milk is combined with the flour mixture.
- On a well floured board, knead dough 3-4 times until it forms a ball. Using a floured rolling-pin, roll dough out till it's ½" thick. Using a floured biscuit cutter or glass, cut biscuits out and place in cake pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.